The Chemical Technology Institute ITEC Brazi
Representative: ing Andrei Constantin, General Manager
Tel/fax : +40-244-513020
Situated 45 km north of Bucharest (Figure1), the Institute (Figure2) has in its vicinity the well-known Brazi Petrochemical Plant PETROBRAZI and 15 km further away the industrial town of Ploiesti. The Institute is also 70 km south of the Prahova Valley, one of the most important areas of mountaineering tourism in Romania.
The town of Ploiesti is traversed by the 26°E meridian and the 45°N parallel. Among the major towns in Romania, Ploiesti is nearest the capital. Although it has had a close relationship with Bucharest throughout its four centuries of existence, the town has always kept its personality intact. The discovery in the second half of the 19th century of important deposits of oil in the area led to the construction of the world’s first oil refinery here. Moreover, as a result of further such developments, in 1857 Bucharest became the first capital in the world illuminated with kerosene. Today there are five large refineries around Ploiesti, and one of them is the Brazi Petrochemical Plant.
Initially (1966) the Chemical Technology Institute Brazi was set up as part of the Research Department of the Plant. In 1975, the Research Department was transferred to ICECHIM-Bucharest (Partner No. 7) and functioned as a branch of that Institute. However, in 1993 complete autonomy was granted and the name changed to the one of today. At present ITEC-Brazi has 40 employees.
In its current form, the Institute contains two main Research Departments, a Production Department (Pilot Plant) and an Analytical Department which serves the ones mentioned above.
The Research Departments are:
1. Petrochemical Synthesis Department and
2. Polymers and Intermediaries Department.
1. The researchers of this department carry out work concerning:
- new additives for oil processing (fuels) such as antioxidants, corrosion inhibitors or cold flow improvers;
- intermediaries for Fine and Pharmaceutical Chemistry such as long life free
2. In this Department, scientific activity is performed concerning mainly polyolefins, but other polymers are also studied. The main directions of research are:
- obtaining new blends and composites based on polyolefins and elastomers with inorganic fillers, UV stabilizers or fireproofing agents;
- studies of oxidation and photo-oxidation of polyolefines (photo-bio-degradable polyethylene);
- studies concerning the aging of polyolefines and the usage of natural antioxidants for polymers such as vitamin E or flavonoids.
The activity of the Pilot Plant is orientated towards the production of organic solvents (aromatic, parafinic solvents and their mixtures) and specific organic syntheses (of fumaric acid, its esthers, ice-guard liquid for aircraft, brake fluid or films for greenhouses).
Within this project, ITEC-Brazi will provide the necessary information related to pollution issues raised by the Romanian petrochemical industry. It will also organise a field trip within the PETROBRAZI premises for the students.
Another large involvement of our Institute within the course elaboration is related to the topics of sonic and electromagnetic pollution. Theoretical principles and concepts of acoustic and noise control will be presented, as well as the measuring instrumentation and techniques, noise criteria or sound source characterisation and emission propagation. Emphasis will be placed on the effects of noise on the human body and proposed measures for active noise cancellation. The latest information on the permanent rise of electromagnetic emissions and its consequences will also be provided. The close of the assignment of Partner No. 8 will include the legislation and management of laboratory activity concerning sonic and electromagnetic pollution with specific references to all countries involved in the project.